As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Phonics is a Necessity!
As a former reading specialist and elementary classroom teacher, I highly recommend that you get your hands on the Jolie Canoli phonics books-specifically Alphabet and The Vowels! Both of these books are high quality and affordable! They can be purchased on Amazon (Alphabet), https://amzn.to/3oW6kII, (Vowels), https://amzn.to/2KePrdF, or both books together https://amzn.to/2NRWkTP. They can also be purchased through Jolie’s store at https://www.jolicanoli.com/childrens-book-store.
Want more information on the author, Jolie Canoli and all the amazing things that she is doing for children? Check out her website, https://www.joliecanoli.com/.
These books are bright, colorful, and engaging! According to Jolie, they work best for Preschool-first grade age children or ages 4-7. They are designed in a way that even if you are not an educator, you can help your child with identifying letters of the alphabets, sounds that they make, the difference between vowels and consonants, spelling rules, and how to write these letters.
Let’s start with the book Alphabet. I’m going to highlight some of my favorite aspects of this book:
Review of Alphabet
- Teaches all the consonant sounds
- Teaches soft and long sounds of each vowel
- Has larger print for beginning readers
- Goes over special rules for specific letters and their sounds
- Practice of blending sounds to form words with the fun characters Buddy and Hedgehog Pip
- Great introduction with step by step directions for your child
- Letter tracing pages that teach children how to write
- Fun and silly illustrations and descriptions
Review of The Vowels
Next, I’ll move on to the book The Vowels:
- Meant to be read aloud!
- Each vowel has a short story accompanied by a visual icon, which helps your child form a mental memory picture of the letter and its corresponding sound
- Helps visual and auditory learners with foundational phonics crucial to learning to read and spell
- Is inspired by the Orton-Gillingham method
- Covers the five vowel sounds and the letter Y, their corresponding sounds, and the spelling rules for silent ‘E’
- Handwriting practice through tracing of each letter
- Learning of the markings of the five primary vowels
- Free download of vowel song-joliecanoli.com/phonics-songs
Final Thoughts to Remember
As a mother of toddlers and a former educator, I am always looking for fun ways to engage children in learning how to read. Reading needs to be exciting and as parents, you are the ones with the very first opportunity to pass this enthusiasm on to your children. This needs to happen even before your children start attending school. Jolie’s book are fun and entertaining for kids. They’ll have so much fun with them, that they won’t even realizing they’re learning something new! Purchase these books and you will not be disappointed!
Hope you found this helpful! What do you do with your children to teach phonics or any reading skills? Let me know how the books work for you if you end up trying them out!
Until next time,
The One Blessed Mama